8.29.2011

Day 7

I am married to a very smart man. I'm not just saying that because this week we celebrate our anniversary and I am trying to earn brownie points with Steve. I mean it. He's way scary smart.  He deals in virtualizations, complex systems analysis, infrastructures and more on a daily basis. He's a geek. I mean that in the most respectful, loving, honoring way possible. He's also very humble and unpretentious! I love this about him. He will help anyone who asks with any technical, computer related issue even if it is just basic stuff that he never really has to think about or do anymore.

Most of the time he talks about stuff that he is working on and I have no clue, not even the slightest, what he is saying but his excitement for what he does makes me excited to listen. I usually don't ask him to teach me to do something computer related, I just ask him to do it. However, when I was talking to him about what my "first" for Sunday could be, he suggested that he teach me how to update the ROM on my Droid phone. He got really excited about it and even told me about CyanogenMod, which is both a modification and a person. Also on a geek side note; apparently Cyanogen, the person, is part of a major coupe this past week on the part of Samsung because they hired this mastermind. (You feel smarter now too, don't you?!)

Steve explained that even just knowing the term "cyanogenmod" would give me "street cred". Today I tested his theory by bringing it up to a guy at Starbucks who I know is all about his Droid. The minute I mentioned "CyanogenMod" his face lit up and he started babbling about the specs and so on... I didn't really listen but I smiled, because I did not know that "street cred" was important until THAT moment when I gained it!


2 comments:

  1. Hi - this is Stephen in Oklahoma City. Steve shared your post on Google+, and I just wanted to let you know that I totally agree with you. Just like you said, he very smart, works hard, humble, and gets along with our users at work. He is definitely a valued part of our team and we appreciate you loaning him to us very much!

    It was neat reading through all the things that you are doing to try to stretch yourself a little bit at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephen! We appreciate you and the Accord team! It definitely was the perfect move for Steve to make! He really enjoys being a part of your team and nothing makes me happier than to know he is happy in his work!! Maybe one of his trips I will tag along and spend some time being a tourist in OKC... that would be a first! Take care!

    ReplyDelete